Today is Friday the 13th – and for many this is a day full of superstitions. Home selling and moving is not exempt from these so here is a list of 13 popular and unusual home related superstitions.
1. Don’t Move an Old Broom Into a New Home, you’ll bring all the Former bad luck with you.
2. Don’t Put Shoes on a Table in Your Home – it will bring bad luck
3. St. Joesph statues are a classic for a reason. He’s the patron saint against doubt and hesitations. You can purchase a statue here and then you need to bury it in the front yard facing the street near the For Sale time. Once the home is sold you need to dig him up and then bring him into your new home in a position of honor and repsect.
4. Try some Feng Shui – you can boost wealth by adding flowering plants (typically red) along the walkway towards your home. Also cleaning clutter, keeping stove burners clean, and addling lights to the path to the front door is also said to help. These just sound like good curb appeal
5. Also in Chinese culture the number 8 is symbolic for being lucky because it is similar to to the Chinese word for wealth and prosperity. Adding an eight at the end of a sales price could help. Also they consider the number 4 unlucky
6. Never carry a hoe into the house. If you do so by mistake, carry it out again backwards.
7. Never give a knife as a housewarming gift or the new neighbor could become an enemy – not sure if the enemy will be you or the new home owner but made a bottle of wine is a better choice.
8. Never walk under a ladder – this is an oldie but a goodie. It comes from the idea that this is the Devil’s territory. If you must walk under one you should do so while crossing your fingers
9. Carry Bread and Salt with you when you first enter a new home (along with your new broom). After crossing the threshold, sprinkle salt on the floor near the front door to keep evil spirits away.
10. Paint your front porch blue if you want ghosts to be scared away. This superstition came from Southern Plantations. The idea was that ghosts weren’t able to cross over water and would mistake your porch for water if painted blue.
11. According to a Norse superstition, placing an acorn on a windowsill would protect the house from being struck by lighting.
12. Another classic – don’t open an Umbrella inside. You’ll make the Sun God mad
13. Don’t move into a new place on a Friday, Saturday, or Rainy Day. These Days are considered unlucky and may prevent you from eventually settling into your new home. And according to Indian tradition the luckiest day to move is Thursday.